ItaCa Folk Ensemble
Category theory is full of “hidden gems”, which means interesting papers that are written in obscure or obsolete language, where there are no diagrams, and proofs are often just sketched.
This is unpleasant for various reasons: it takes a toll on young students, it prevents ideas from circulating easily, it relegates instructive papers (often, filled with ground-breaking ideas that we discovered/refined later!) to oblivion.
We believe that a good service to the community of category theorists around the world would be to make these resources more popular, more accessible, well typeset, and expanded. In spirit, this intersects some of the motivations for Jon Sterling’s mathematical translations project.
Hence our desire to involve young students in a small project of literature review, translation and outreach. The ultimate goal of the project is to produce a manuscript of some sort expanding, completing and renovating a few hidden gems.
This is a call for students!
Anyone who is interested can contact the two people that (so far) are responsible of the project:
- Fosco Loregian
- Ivan Di Liberti
(you can contact us also in case you want to become a “mentor”!).
Here is a list of a few papers we have in mind:
- R. Guitart, Extenseurs.
- M. Kelly, Elementary observations on 2-categorical limits
- R. Guitart, Des machines aux bimodules
- R. Guitart, papers on autocategories papers on autocategories.
- R. Betti, S. Kasangian, Una proprietà del comportamento per gli automi completi
- Věra Trnková; Jiří Adámek; Václav Koubek; Jan Reiterman, Free algebras, input processes and free monads
- Věra Trnková, On descriptive classification of set-functors. I.
- Reiterman, The Birkhoff theorem for finite algebras
- Vaclav Koubek, Jan Reiterman, Categorical constructions of free algebras, colimits and completions of partial algebras,
- ALBERT BURRONI, Algèbres graphiques (sur un concept de dimension dans les langages formels)
- Thomas Fox, Coalgebras and cartesian categories
- Gray, THE CATEGORICAL COMPREHENSION SCHEME
- Guitart, Toute theorie est algebrique et topologique
- Ulmer, Dense functors and Relative adjoints
- Ulmer, The AFT and the Yoneda Embedding
- Ulmer, Representable functors with Values in arbitrary categories
- Isbell, Structure of Categories
- Grzegorz JARZEMBSKI, FINITARY SPECTRAL ALGEBRAIC THEORIES
- Kainen, Weak Adjoint functor theorem
- Kennison, Limit preserving functors
- Rosicky, Concrete Categories
- Rosicky, Concrete categories and infinitary languages.